Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

It's Friday. It's the weekend. It's time to clean house!

It would have been nice to start the New Year with a clean house.....but let's face it Pig Pen is my idol. The kid made a career out of being a mess; if only I could do the same.

I've been washing dishes; all by hand, no dishwasher but me in this house. Washing and folding laundry. Cleaning out the refrigerator and finding a few buried treasures including some that are usable and the inevitable science experiments.

All of this would be easier if I'd stayed home last night and gone to bed at a reasonable time. But no, I went out, had a wonderful time and finally made it to bed at 0330. Fortunately I passed up on most of the wonderful selection of alcohol and partook modestly of the extravagant bounty of food available last night. So while I'm moving slowly today, I'm not in pain.

It was a wonderful time last night. Ringing in the New Year with a small group of friends. The people and the conversation were eclectic. Solving the worlds problems, a bit of reminiscing and a lot of laughing.

The treasure in the refrigerator were a couple of bags of cranberries. I'd bought them the day before Thanksgiving when I thought I was responsible for making the cranberry relish. They've been hiding in the back of the produce drawer ever since. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade - when life hands you cranberries, make Cranberry Liqueur!

Cranberry Liqueur
- Gunther Anderson's recipe with minor variations

Ingredients:
  • 2 - 12 oz bags Oregon cranberries
  • 2 Satsuma Mandarins - peel and all
  • 2 1/4 cups vodka - I used 80 proof
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar (use good organic evaporated cane sugar)
  • 1 1/4 cups filtered water
  • 4 cloves
  • 8 allspice berries
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • peel of one small lemon
Method;
  1. Process cranberries and mandarins in a food processor until finely chopped - do it in two batches
  2. Put all ingredients into a half gallon jar
  3. Store in a dark corner of the kitchen for four weeks and give a shake or two daily
  4. Line a colander with cheese cloth and strain.
  5. Squeeze the cheese cloth to extract as much liquid as possible
  6. Let it settle for a few days and then pour off the clear liquid and strain through a coffee filter.
According to the recipe this is based on it should make about 6 cups. For more information on making Liqueurs visit Gunther Anderson's liqueur pages

Here's a cocktail that looks like it would be good - I'll report back later!

Gundalow

2 1/2 oz Vodka or Gin
1 oz Cranberry Liqueur
2/3 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
1 lime slice

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice and stir. Double strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with lime slice


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment