Friday, January 9, 2009

One is the Loneliest Number

Recently I've received some invitations to be a Facebook Friend. Frankly I was a bit uneasy about being asked. I'm not really sure why I was uneasy other than ignorance of what Facebook is or can be at its best. It seems like there are a lot of stupid people out there doing stupid things and in a final stupid act; posting narrations and pictures of the afore mentioned stupid acts on the Online Social Network of their choice - Not something that really made me want to run out and join, I mean I've done my share of stupid things...will I now feel compelled to post about them?

So today I received a third invitation to become a facebook friend. This time there was an explanation of the request that actually made sense and was even a bit intriguing. So I signed up and accepted the friend invitation. Checking back to my Facebook page I see that I now have "1 Friend". Fifty-Four years old and I have "1 Friend". This isn't making me feel all warm and fuzzy, but at least I still have my dogs and cats.

I've contacted the other two folks that asked me be friends and the wife of my first friend has befriended me so I don't feel quite so bad. Definitely not one of the popular kids on campus, but I never was and I can live with that.

Okay, so now I've got four friends and I realize that I don't qualify for the latest Burger King Promotion; Whopper Sacrifice. Defriend ten Facebook Friends and get a free Whopper. I don't think I'd qualify for a free Whopper by going into negative six friends territory and what am I supposed to say? "Hey Chumps" you just asked me to be your friend and I'm throwing you over for a crappy fast food burger" - I've just added you to the other 112,030 people scorned for a free burger coupon!

To add insult to injury, my first Facebook Friend is the person that introduced me to the pleasures of Happy Hour Hamburgers at Clyde Common! Sacrificing a friend like that.....well it just doesn't pencil out.

So thanks Rod for inviting me to be your friend and thanks too to Mike, Robert and Pam. I don't feel quite so lonely now.?

So, Hey Rod, just when are we going back to Clyde Common? I'm curious to see how well they make a Sazerac.

Sazerac for One - Inspired by Chuck Taggart

In your cocktail mixer:
  • Mix 1 teaspoon of sugar with 1 teaspoon of water or use a teaspoon of simple syrup
  • Add 4 dashes of Peychaud Bitter and 1 dash of Angostura Bitters
  • Add a bunch of ice and two oz of Rye - Sazerac Rye if you've got it, but Wild Turkey works just fine
  • Stir for thirty seconds
Rub the rim of a chilled cocktail glass with a strip of lemon peel
Add a 1/2 teaspoon of Absinthe into the glass and coat the inside of the glass with it
Strain the cocktail into the glass.
Heretic that I am, I throw the lemon peel into the glass because I really like the aroma

Absinthe is expensive but well worth the price in this cocktail. I bought a miniature for $7.00 and it's made a bunch of cocktails so far and will make many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment